Alright, Fess-up time:
It is said that when you ask God for something He either says “Yes”, “No” or “Wait”. What about when He asks you to do something, something HUGE requiring some out of the boat faith, what do you say?
We love to talk about “out of the boat faith” and it comes from the familiar scripture in Matthew 14, where Peter actually walked out on the water to Jesus.
“When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. 27 But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” 28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” 29 “Come,” he said.”
So, what do we say?
- “Yes Lord! Whoeeeee …here I come!” (probably the sanguines)..
- Or “No Lord! You are asking a bit toooo much!” (It takes a lot of nerve to say no to the Lord though…hmmmm)
- Or Like Peter, you ask “Lord… is it you?” and then when He says yes, you step out and get moving…
- Or When He says yes..you are still frightened and keep asking “Lord is it you? Lord is it you? Lord?…… ” . I mean Jesus walked all around the ocean, gone back to shore, dried off and having some dinner, and you still out there …”Lord???”
I admit to the latter. God has called me to take some major steps recently, which took some “step out the boat faith”, and it took me a few months (or years) of asking “Lord…is it you???” Even after stepping out, I am still asking…”Can a sista get some more confirmation please?!” Yes, pray for me.. lol ..but that is the truth sistas!
But you need this ‘stepping out the boat faith” when God asks you to execute some major life-changing event like:
- Moving to another country…
- Going on a missions trip…
- Quitting your job…
- Starting a business…
- Give away some major belongings…
- Get out of a relationship (you know you ain’t had no right being in the first place! Hmmm!)
But it takes ‘guts’, and ‘guts galore’ to implement major change! To step out there in absolute faith…To ignore the naysayers….To leave somewhere or someone you love dearly….but find the ‘guts’ and just do it!
Do as Peter did, and ask “Lord.. is it you?” Because my friends, if it IS God, no matter how terrifying the ask…if He asks..He will be there and it HAS TO WORK FOR THE GOOD no matter what…and somehow, someday you are going to be so much better off than before!
Once you step out..DO NOT TAKE YOUR EYES OF JESUS!
When God says yes it’s Him, don’t look to the right or the left, borrow some horse blinders and stay focused. Keep God in the picture for the entire journey. Don’t do like Peter:
“But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” 31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
Keep the faith…and keep walking!!
Love wunna, D